Thread: AK flop play
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: AK flop play

I'm not looking to call allin here with my overcards and flush draw, I'm looking to bet right here and win the pot, and if I do get called I'm still likely the favorite. If the pot is small enough where a push doesn't make sense, so I bet less and they call then they will likely check to me on the turn and I can see the river for free. However if I check behind they will bet the turn which is basically the same amount of chips except I lose the fold equity from not betting the flop.

The real problem is that if I check behind and miss and they bet the pot, now I don't have odds to see the river because I won't get paid off if I hit, and my A high might actually be good and if it isn't I am no closer to knowing if my outs are clean.

If I bet the flop, it's not actually a bluff - I am value betting what will more often than not be the best hand by the river. If the turn and river are blanks, I am giving my opponent a chance to fold his 1 pair hand gaining me a small pot instead of giving him the small pot.