Thread: AK flop play
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: AK flop play

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand doesn't have as much value as you think, especially if all the money goes in on the flop. Getting a lot of money in on the flop is a bad scenario for this hand, despite the fact that you have the nut flush draw and two overcards and "might" be a small favorite.

I mean I just don't understand. You are worried that an overpair will be scared that a flush draw just hit? Are you really that desperate to get all your money in on the flop against an overpair? You shouldn't be. If your opponent has one pair, same story. Why in the world are you so excited to get all 1500 chips in as a small favorite? If your opponent has 88, you only win 52% of the time. Also you are an underdog to hands like Ac 7c.

How come everyone likes to avoid coinflips and now suddenly you are just dying to get your opponent to play with you on the flop. If they put a lot of money in there is very little chance you are much more than a coinflip.

In my opinion you are drastically overrating the strength of your hand here. I'm HAPPY if by checking I scare my opponent off whatever hand they had or I get a free card that maybe allows me to win a small pot instead of getting allin as a coinflip for a big one. Also note that by checking I am allowing myself to win a huge pot if my opponent happened to have a big hand on the flop, yet I can't lose one. So many reasons why I like to check here...

Also if a blank falls, Im much happier bluffing on the turn than the flop, as your hand has lost some of it's value (although generally I'd check behind the turn too)

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant post. I'd pay to belong to this forum for stuff like this. I couldn't agree more, although I wouldn't have been able to explain it anywhere near like that.

(I'm not a big fan of the continuation bet with AK in general, so this post really makes sense to me.)