Thread: AK flop play
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: AK flop play

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only person that thinks his most obvious hands are JJ and TT and he was min-raising me to see where I was at in the hand?

Villain folded but I never felt he had a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are't the only one who thought this. In fact, I didn't say it, but I felt that this was a strong possibility as well because I quite simply didn't think a set, a straight, or overcards would have played the hand this way. In the example I layed out earlier, I was setting up the worst possible case scenario just to illustrate that with everything working against you, calling is still +EV. Since it is likely that everything won't work against you, calling is likely to be more +EV than in my example.

To Adanthar, fwiw, I think that pushing the flop is ok too, I just wouldn't do it. At party I would because you have less chips to take cards off, but with the larger stacks at stars, I think calling becomes a more reasonable option. I feel like it gives you a good chance to gain more chips while minimizing your losses should your hand not hit on the turn or river. At party (which is where I play btw), I'd likely be pushing this in a heartbeat because you have to gain chips quicker. But blinds are so small in the example, that I think you can easily let it go and be in good shape if nothing materializes. This is just a difference in style though and I don't think a call or a push would be bad by any stretch.