View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Should I finish college? (long)

Twenty three years ago I stumbled into a great job in the auto industry.I t paid well, had great benefits, and I could retire after thirty years, when I would be 54.

I dropped out of college to continue my career here, despite the lack of an intellectual challenge because, I reasoned, when I retire (at age 54) I'll be able to do whatever I want, and I'll pursue other goals when I get there, collecting my pension. Not a bad idea then, but the roof's caving in now, as you know if you read the business news.

If my co. goes under now—which is a possiblity—and even if it doesn't, I could be facing a catastrophic loss of income with no marketable skills because I never finished college. Which means now, at age 48, I'm preparing myself to go back to school to get the skills I need to compete in the modern workforce, and hoping I can hang on long enough not to lose my house and everything else I own in the process.

You don't know what the future will bring; and the better you're prepared for it, the more options will be open to you if your plans don't work out. Regardless of the skills you have, some doors will be closed to you without a college degree.

You're a senior with two semesters to go? You're a damned fool if you don't get your degree now.

--klez