View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Ed\'s Sept. article

[ QUOTE ]
I think he is full of it. Am I the only one? I am sure the games will dry up a little when the poker boom dies down, but great players getting in 1500 hands a day are not gonna have to worry about making rent 5 years from now.

FWIW, I also found the article interesting and well written, I just dont agree with most of his points.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a great player will have to worry about making rent. I think a decent/good player who is making good money now needs to start planning, though.

For instance, you play ok, put in a lot of hours, and make $150k a year. You're single and 23. You are oozing money.

Now you're the same player, it's five years later, and you still play ok. You even still put in a lot of hours. You're married and have two kids. Because conditions aren't as ripe as they used to be, you make $100k a year.

Single and making $150k a year is WAY different than married with two kids making $100k a year. If you are smart when you are 23 and put a lot of that excess cash away, then you'll be fine when you're married with kids. If you piss that extra cash away buying toys and playing $50-$100 NL with David Williams (ahem) then you're heading for a major financial crunch.

That's the audience the article was intended for. The best of the best obviously don't have anything to worry about.