View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Ed\'s Sept. article

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you. Give me 50-75 thousand dollars in excess cash from my normal living expenses which poker can do, and in 5 years of wise investing I will never have to work for my living expenses again. Give me 10 years and I will be very rich. Life can be good if you are smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you're an investing god then, and my hats off to you. I'm not nearly that advanced. I don't think that if you gave me 250k right now and assuming that I didn't have to tap that but didn't put aside any saving from my job, that I could be in a position in five years not to ever work again, much less if I was only getting 50k a year to invest.

10% return a year after five years gets you to about 411,000.

--Zetack

edit:

Just for fun I looked at it as 75k (to give you the biggest benefit of the doubt) coming in a year with 10% interest. After five years you've got 503K. Retiring on that? Really?

Ok after 10 years, 1.3 million. Doable, I suppose.

If you split the difference between 50 and 75K a year you end up at just under $1.1 million.

Now if you can get 30 percent returns annually, your numbers do start to look very good. I just ain't that good an investor.