View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Which college should he choose?

Bottom line is whatever school your son goes to (and it'll be a good one with those grades and scores), he will be absolutely fine, because any of those schools will have great alumni and job networks, as well as great on-campus job recruitment.

I can't speak to other schools, so I'll put my $0.02 in on my alma mater, Cornell. I had the same business and finance interests and graduated from their undegrad business program (now the 2nd accredited undegrad business program in the Ivy league, along with Wharton). Solid well-rounded program that doesn't pigeon-hole you into any one aspect of business, so you can pick and choose to put your own program together.

It certainly fits the trend of larger universities.

His interests are constantly changing, which is absolutely fine at a place like Cornell where you can pretty much study anything and take classes in anything. I value my time in Science & Crime, Intro to Bible, Wines, and Pscych & Law as much as -- if not more that -- my time in business classes.

Finally, if cost is an issue at all, being in NY, if your son chooses the business program (or anything within the 3 state-funded schools), you're getting the same education that other people are paying through the nose for at a $10,000/year discount. (And you can still take whatever you want in whatever school or subject you want, just like everyone else.)

As for sports, there's likely a high bar for playing on the varsity teams -- it couldn't hurt to contact the coaches and inquire about those sports -- but there's a wide variety of club teams available (and intramurals).

Good luck...

My overall advice is don't fret too much over the entire application process and decision on where to go. Like I said at the start, any of your kid's options are gonna be great ones.