View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: 3 hands at 5/10 today

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3: I'm confused by the check/call on the turn K. I'd expect him to raise a K often on the flop. I'd assume my hand is still best a lot of the time, pretty sure I'd call down a raise too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the turn check is generally quite good in Hand #3, actually.

1. The K is a good bluffing card. We'll get raised a lot here, and sometimes by worse hands. Checking assures we don't get bluffed out of the pot.

2. We may have outs against mid-pairs and such. These types of hands are rarely folding, but might check through the turn and let us have a free shot at the river.

3. Our hand is good a lot of the time, but very often the hands that we are beating are going to fold anyway, and often they are drawing slim. Checking allows worse As and such a chance to put in money they otherwise might not have.

4. The board isn't that scary with draws. I'm a little concerned about gutshot possibilities like JT and QJ, but I'm willing to take a slight risk against them in heads-up pots. If we check they might bet anyway so it doesn't really matter in a lot of cases.

So I don't see much reason to follow through with a bet on the turn automatically here. Nate the Great advocates a good line with these hands: check-call the turn and check-fold the river. The idea is that when we check the turn villain will bet tons of hands trying to take down the pot, but will rarely bet the river unless its actually for value. Our turn call says we're likely not going anywhere and so we can be confident folding when villain bets a second time.