View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Okay, Ed, I raised.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply, and I agree with your comments. That's the way I'd prefer to play it. Problem is, while this would have saved a few bets, it wouldn't have won any of these hands, or the hundreds of others like it I get into, and it directly contradicts Ed's "you guys fold too much" and the constant "bet! raise! check/raise!" that I see in hand posts. Against tight players, this either works or it tells me to fold. Loose players, though, play it the same no matter what they have. Do I bet/raise assuming they're always bluffing, or do I check/call/fold assuming they always have it?

Everyone keeps telling me that it's these loose players I want, that's where the money is. So I bought PokerAce and started seeking them out, and my results, already marginal, plummeted.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need a coach. You're not getting it but I don't think what you aren't getting can be explained in a single post or two. Each of your hands contained errors in play, and the fact that you say "well, I wouldn't have won anyway" doesn't bode well for the way you approach poker. The game isn't an all or nothing approach; it's about taking marginal edges and pushing them, and over time, contributing them to your winrate. Raising the turn to protect your hand in a big pot won't always help you win, but it will add a fraction of a bet to your winrate each time you do it correctly. Added up, all of these decisions contribute to a winning playing style and result.

Finally, nothing I posted contradicts with Ed's advice from his books, posts, or otherwise. It's very likely the unfortunate case that you're misapplying the advice, but to figure out specifically where or why or how, you may need to either devote yourself to understanding poker, or hire a teacher/coach to help you along with the process. I hear Joe Tall is quite good, though I don't knokw if he's still doing lessons.

It's going to be a long road and it's going to require work. Best of luck to you.

Rob