View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: River bluff check raise

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Evan, can you talk about why you checked the turn? I would always bet here (without more opponent knowledge than we had here). I don't think a raise is too likely and I want to get to the river and there are lots of things I'd be happy to have my opponents fold and they may even call with a worse hand. Why check?

[/ QUOTE ]
Mostly because I don't think I have the best hand. Boards with a lot of middlish cards tend to hit people that limp or coldcall. In this case, with two coldcallers, I think it usually hit one of them. I don't think a raise is LIKELY, but it's possible and it sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with you here. Betting the turn would just be spewing IMO. I just wonder if the same logic you described dictates perhaps checking the flop as well. I tend to autobet all but the ugliest flops when I raised pre-flop as you did. But here you are pretty unlikely to be ahead on the flop and the board gives people all sorts of excuses to call.

One difference is that on the turn, having already been called in two places, you can't possibly expect to be ahead or get the entire field to fold. Whereas, on the flop you might be ahead or be able to get small pairs to fold. Just a thought.