View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 12:12 PM

Default The looming war is not needed

The inspections appear to be working. Iraq at this point in time appears to pose no threat to the world. inspections can and should be given the time they need to succeed.

Attacking Iraq based upon a first strike policy breaks the traditional view of the USA supporting international law. I grant that the USA at times has not lived up to this image. The Gulf of Tonkin incident comes clearly to mind.

Risking the destruction of the Iraqi oil fields, the world's economy, and antipathy from the Muslim world
for solely personal reasons is foolhardy in my opinion.

If Saddam Hussein is contained, and affectively disarmed by the inspection process, then I believe no rush to attack should traspire. Nevertheless, this does not mean that the UN, nor the United States, should not continue to pressure Iraq for compliance. Certainly a years difference in time with 250,000 American military personnel posed to invade at any time, would be a small price to pay regarding housing and maintaining a large military presence in the region to show the world that the USA is a just society. I repeat that the inspections should be allowed to go forth.

North Korea is another beast entirely. Perhaps pre-emptive air strikes against their nuclear reactors would be appropriate in short order.