View Single Post
Old 11-27-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: A State of Massachusetts

Actually, very few people aren't careless, and a very high percentage of them are stupid to boot. I don't think the warnings are harmful in the least, so there's nothing all that negative about them. If they do make a new owner think twice about being stupid with his guns, fine.

Lots of people DO leave their guns unlocked and loaded within easy access of children. Since that could wind up in both the loss of life AND the loss of liberty of the gun owner according to laws that have been drawn up in the last few decades, warning people that both death and a thorough screwing by the courts are possibilities is doing them a favor. I believe there are probably plenty of people who do not know their liability for what other people do. That is, if some kid burgles your house and winds up shooting someone, YOU could be responsible even though you have no control over being burglarized. Face it, the courts love to throw the book at people and make examples of them for the community. Nobody wants to be the fall guy for some unctuous grandstanding prick's display of community-mindedness and concern "for the children."

I'm a gun owner myself and have always enjoyed them and valued them, but frankly I'm sure I'm much more responsible with them than most people, in the same way I've always owned a fist and even became decent at using it, but unlike a great many other people, I'm extremely careful with it and responsible about it. With rights come responsibilities, as they say. A gun is a valuable tool and a fun item for sporting purposes, too, but a scary thing in the hands of a fool or a child.

Since it's the government that's going to prosecute you, there's nothing wrong with them giving you fair warning. Beats the alternative of the Ah HA! Gotcha! way of visiting law upon others.