View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Deleting/locking

[ QUOTE ]
In the Micro forum, we have a designated no content thread where we direct people to post bad beats, downswing rants, brags and the like. This system has actually worked quite well. You might want to consider it for SS, too. If I'm the first to get to a NC post, and it's from a semi-veteran, I lock the post w/ a direction to post that in the NC thread. If it's from someone brand new, I'll tell them to post NC stuff there in the future, but I won't lock their thread unless a flame war breaks out. I don't want to scare off new posters. If it's a strategically minded question, even a stupid one, I'll let it live unless it really degrades into a flame war, in which case I'll lock it with a note. Trolling gets locked right away, again with a note. If I lock something, I always leave a note as to why, and so that people can send me PM if they disagree w/ my decision. I only delete spam threads. I guess I'd delete NSFW stuff, but we don't get any of that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah we pretty much have the same policy on this. I think I'm a little quicker on the draw to lock threads in ML that Wookie, but I think we agree on 99% of our decisions (I tend to lock newbies' threads more).

I would suggest locking a lot of the crap -- that tends to work well. I typically give a reason either by adding text to the original post ("This thread is stupid, so I'm locking it. Love, Greg") or just make a reply explaining.

EDIT: The link you provided just sent me to the SS forum Evan.