View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Royal Hold\'em strategys

fyi, here are approximate winning percentages from a hacked version of my simulator:

A A 39.6%
K K 29.3%
A K 23.6%
Q Q 21.1%
A Q 20.4%
A J 17.7%
K Q 17.7%
A T 15.3%
J J 15.1%
K J 15.0%
K T 12.7%
Q J 12.7%
T T 11.0%
Q T 10.5%
J T 8.7%

I ignore suitedness here, since it only adds around 0.7% to the winning chance. This is for 6-way, no folds, ties prorated. As others have stated, anything with a T or J is pretty weak.

So only 15 starting hands. Each pair occurs 3.2% of the time, each non-pair hand occurs 8.4%.

I think you give away too much against good opponents if you only raise AA/KK. Anyone with a hud can see your PFraise sitting right at 6-7%. I've tried two preflop strategies, one is raising everything down to AQ, especially in later positions. The other is being mostly passive, maybe raising AA/KK/QQ in the CO or button when you can usually see the turn cheaply to catch your set. Both seem to work pretty well.

Your first job is to determine if there are players who think a straight is good hand. This changes everything, and if you can isolate them you should see the river with any low boat or straight.

Against better players, I'll see the turn with any set or two pair (except bottom two against raises), and TPTK if unraised. You'll know on the turn if you have outs to quads/boat. Almost never worth praying for the board straight to save you otherwise.

Lucrative situations:
1) Board has AATTQ, and you have AQ. The other A will often play back at you here.
2) Capped PF, you should always call with QQ. You may be against AA/AA/etc, and they may have no outs. But fold AK to a 3-bet, or a single raise from Mr. 6% PFR.
3) Implied odds often make it worth calling a flop bet if you have 4 to the flush. Odds are 14:N on the flop and 13:N on the turn, where N is the number of outs. Players often go to war on the turn, and 20+BB pots occur regularly.

Worst thing about this game is it may make regular 6-max seem boring.