View Single Post
Old 04-18-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Bad Shooting doesn\'t always mean Good Defense Rant

I'm gonna preface this by pointing out that the Rockets are indeed one of the top 3 or 4 defensive teams along with the Spurs, Pistons, and (gasp!) Timberwolves in the league right now.

On to the rant... When it comes to bad sports commentary by announcers and halftime crews I don't think there is anything that pisses me off more than watching a basketball team brick wide open shots and make unforced turnovers for an entire half, shooting something like 35% and scoring 38 pts then hearing the announcers go on and on about how good of defense the opposition played. Sometimes the shots just aren't falling. Kind of like those nights were you are getting flushstraighted at the poker tables. The NBA announcers seem oblivious to this and believe poor shooting entirely reflects good defense. This can be true, but you can't explain a 9 pt. quarter on defense alone.

As concerns the Rockets-Lakers series LA scored only 72 points last night and won the game. Kobe might even shoot 4-18 or whatever it was last night once or twice more in this series, but he ain't gonna shoot like that 5 or 6 games in a row. The Rockets play good D and all but there is just no way they're gonna consistently hold the Lakers in the low 70s. Last night they did, and it still wasn't enough.