View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on the World Cup Draw

[ QUOTE ]
If Korea/Japan taught us anything its make predictions at your own peril.

Some of the seeds will probably fall at the first hurdle and some teams will surprise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence, my prediction that Togo will advance to the Second Round out of France's group.

[ QUOTE ]
Statements like Ghana going winless and Ivory Coast is the weakest team in group C all sound fair and well but don't be surprised when these teams force you to eat those words.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kindly point out to me where in my post I said that Ghana was going winless. Perhaps in future you would care to actually -read- my posts before you criticize them.

And the reason I said that Ivory Coast is the weakest team in Group C is because, well, they are. I also said they were the most talented of the African teams. They're just not in Argentina, Holland or Serbia's class (the last one is a little more debatable, perhaps), and I don't think you'd find too many fans of the sport who'd disagree with me on that one.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand the trophy to Brazil now.

It's actually embarrising the amount of excellence they have in this team.

This is the best Brazilian team since '82(I know they didn't win in '82, my point is its there's to lose and not someone elses to win) and in Ronaldinihio they have what I believe to be the best player I've seen since Maradona, he is very capable of doing what Diego did in '86.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they were playing a league format where they played every other team twice....yes, I'd agree, hand it to them now. The best team tends to always win that format. In a 3-game group followed by straight knockout format....different story. All they have to do is not show up once, get held to a draw in a knockout game and lose the penalty lottery, and they're done. England and France, just to name two, certainly are capable of beating an off-form Brazil in a one-off game.

--Scott