View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: learning PLO8--400 hand

[ QUOTE ]

I'm new to this game, but I'm fairly certain this quote is wrong. I don't think you should be making large raises pre-flop in EP with any hand in a full game, and you especially shouldn't be doing it with this kind of hand only. The place for pre-flop raises is in back, or in any position if you're making lots of small, pot-building raises with a variety of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there is a should or shouldn't here. There are plenty reasons to call or raise with this type of hand here.

[ QUOTE ]

Look at the JesuSmurf's post above where he raised with AA25, and the flop came JJ3. He had 2 callers in position against him, and was set up to lose the max or win the min. The value you get from your opening raise is small, given how closely decent hands run in EV pre-flop. Whatever you gain is more than made up for by what you lose by defining your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

JJ3 certainly isn't the worst flop for that hand. And with AA25 isn't what you are looking for more money in the pot and less players? That's a raise nearly every time in my book, regardless of position.

Cheers

DD