View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Professional vs 2nd Income

I was a software developer making a pretty healthy living before deciding to go pro earlier this year. The reason I quit my full time job was because I simply hated everything about it.

I hated getting up at 5:30-6 in the morning. I hated not getting home until 6 or later in the evening. I hated only getting a handful of hours every day to do what I wanted to do. I hated not getting enough sleep and being near exhausted all the time. On top of that, the work was mind numbingly boring and it wasn't a pleasant place to work.

Now, I get a full 8 hours of sleep every night so I'm rested and feeling good all day. I work whenever I feel like it and I have more "me" time than I've ever had in my life. The stress levels in my life are at an all time low (my hair has stopped thinning - no kidding! ... hopefully it decides to grow back some).

However, poker isn't always good. It does become a grind. Very quickly if you play enough of it. The downswings are harder to swallow if you rely on that money to pay the rent every month. You really have to love the game and be willing to fight through the difficult times.

For a while there, when I was growing thin on money and hitting a lot of rough variance, I was questioning my choice to go pro (I made the leap with not much in terms of savings). But the free time I had gave me a chance to develop PokerAce Hud and the success that it has brought me will allow me a second chance at the tables. A second chance I'm hoping to use to take me to the higher limits and allow me to pursue other investment interests.