View Single Post
Old 12-21-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: ($16) AK from the BB

[ QUOTE ]
I think if I would have raised preflop here and gotten a call a c/r would be alot better, but given the pf check a bet/3-bet all in is optimal IMO.

That is to say, a c/r is very likely to get villain to fold his hand on the flop or to our inevitable turn push if he does call whereas if he does have an ace (AJ for instance) he is likely to raise me on the flop and I can 3-bet all-in and he may call me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think your first statement is incorrect. Had we raised PF, you are quite compelled to continue on this favorable/draw heavy flop. You are not getting a lead behind not nearly as often having taken the lead PF - certainly not enough to risk a free turn card.

Your second point is possible. Viewing your hand, that is not how I interpreted your intent -- I guess maybe I would have found that in your later reply, but speaking from MP's view, I'm glad I didn't [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I don't think you are going to get raised on this flop too often with a weak Ace. A loose+passive Ace-x open limp, is not as likely to pound your flop bet. Furthermore, you led nearly full pot. If you were looking for some form of raise opportunity here on the flop, then a donkish-FD-buying minbet might have sold it a little better. But I still prefer checking into MP here - you'll get your lead more often than you will a raise leading any amount yourself.

Edit: I'm not saying checking PF/leading this flop is not standard. I have no problem with this either. There are risks in looking to c-raise here as well. I'm just saying that the more passive check PF can set you up for c-raise opportunities - which you didn't elect to take here. No biggie.