View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Recommend me ANY music

Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine + Four and More. this is his second quintet kicking ass at carnegie hall. Miles said the band got in a huge fight before the show and everyone was mad as hell at each other and that's why it kicks so much ass. tony williams, then 18, also lights a fire under everyone else better than anyone on this record.

Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello - Painted From Memory. I think these are some of the best songs ever written. this album is perfect.

Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra - Concert in the Garden. My personal favorite living composer, easily the most unique composer in jazz today.

Fred Hersch and Bill Frisell - Songs we know. Fred is a Bill Evans disciple and Frisell is Frisell. Very textural album considering it's a piano/guitar duo.

Ben Monder - Excavation. very very modern compositions for guitar, bass, drums and voice (wordless).

John Coltrane - The Olatunji Concert. this is Trane's last recording before he died, with Alice Coltrae, Rashied Ali, Jimmy Garrison and Pharoah Sanders. Extremely noisy and avant garde, but possibly some of the most searing music every recorded. Trane sounds like he is staring down death on this.