View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: On seat selection and table-dependent adjustments.

I shared this with Ent in IRC and I'll share it here.

As I've discussed elsewhere, my motivations and goals for playing are different than others. I'm not always out chasing the most EV situations and trying to make the most money possible. A lot of why I play is about learning and having fun.

One of the things that I tend to do is to ignore these things to some extent. I'll take an open seat at whatever table that's highest on the avg pot list and play there for most of my session unless it's just horrible.

My thought here is that because of Ent's second point, that you HAVE to adjust to the texture of your table and the players that you have position on and that have position on you, learning how to make these adjustments is key. So sometimes I'm not in the best seat at the best table, but I'm learning how to find ways to make that work for me.

If you're playing to pay the rent, and have to maximize EV at every step, table selection and seat position are huge. That's one of the big lessons I learned in my failed attempt to be that kind of player. However, at some point there's something to be said for taking the time to develop the skills that will help you be a better player in higher games, and I think sometimes that kind of learning can get lost in the quest for dollars that some of the folks in the forum are on.