View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Refusing to chop in a mtt -EV?

They aren't just going to all of a sudden become a better player and outplay only you. If they change their game based on your decision, it will likely be in your best interest.

People often worry that one of their actions will cause people to start "taking shots at them." My response is, "So?" This applies more to cash games, where there is time to recognize this behavior, at which point it becomes +++EV, but it can still apply at a final table. When a lot of money is at stake people are less likely to f around. If people being mad at you is a bad thing, you should start hating all your opponents.

That said, in a big tournament, I would gladly give up a little EV for a guaranteed payout. For example, if I was heads up with a 2:1 chip lead with the blinds large, I'd try to get a good chunk of the remaining money, but if 50k was at stake, and my opponent would only agree on an even chop, I'd probably do it. If there was a HU SnG that I could sign up for that costs 25k to get in and I get 30bb to my opponents 15bb, I wouldn't do it.

I'm very surprised that there aren't chops at every big buy in tournament, especially the WSOP. Perhaps there are chops and we just don't hear about it because the TV networks want to keep it exciting. I may post about this in the WPT forum.