View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re: OMG Michael Vick pwns Carolina lol!!!`11z

pfunk,

Yeah, Vick can win a Super Bowl. so can Kyle Orton or Trent Dilfer. I obviously think Vick is much better than those two, but I'm just saying that he's a decent QB. Now, I don't think he'll ever be the reason the Falcons win the SB but he'll be a good contributor. What is needed? Well, first of all, I'd look at the coaching staff. Currently, the O-Line is pretty good; it's a run-based O-Line like Denvers that doesn't do well in pass protection. You can afford that liberty when you have one of the greatest scramblers of all time.

The rest of the offensive playcalling leaves something to be desired. Vick seemed much more comfortable in 2002 than he does now. Then, the Falcons ran a lot of Full House plays (an inverted wishbone that looks like a diamond. Involves usually a HB, and a FB and H-Back/TE lining up ahead of him). The Falcons need to be very creative, using different formations that take advantage of a speedy QB. Things like the wishbone, the flexbone, and the single wing would terrorize defenses for at least a couple plays a game. if nothing else they could be good decoys. However, they're very good at creating mismatches, such as getting Alge Crumpler on a weak coverage LB. The defense would have no idea what hit them.

But more than anything the Falcons need a sound rush defense. They're just absolutely porous right now and can be run right over. Combine this with their unoriginal playcalling - one that Vick isn't completely comfortable in and doesn't utilize his skills very well - and you have a team that won't last very long in the playoffs.

All that said, I hope Vick can find success as a passer. It would be truly amazing to see. He's already a joy to watch - I'm just annoyed that people equate exciting with on-field production.