View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: I Know 2+2 Wants To Kill Me For This......

[ QUOTE ]
The preflop idea behind calling is to make a lot of money in cases 1 and 2 and otherwise write our preflop investment off. That it may actually be possible to make a small profit off of some bad flops by calling is something I'll worry about when it comes up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stellar,

This is actually what I'm having trouble understanding. I know that when we put money in a pot early in a -EV situation in order to have correct odds later it's called "bloating". When we put money in early in a +EV situation it's just +EV (so that's a good thing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) What is it called when we put money in at EV neutral? Don't those anticipated 'correct odds' calls turn the neutral into a negative? I was always under the impression that they do.

According to stove, we're just about EV neutral preflop against their ranges and having $2 invested. We're also OOP and need to make it to the river. Fit or fold isn't correct here because we will often have good enough odds to continue past the flop and sometimes the turn, but they are only correct at the time presented (flop or turn bet). That has to be included in the preflop calculations in order to determine our SD equity, no? What am I missing?

I saw a thread about this around 3 months ago. The example gave two EV neutral hands preflop and excluded blinds (like 55 vs 87s or something like that). Theoretically, there's no difference whether they go 1 bet or 100000 bets preflop because it's EV neutral. However, at 1 bet, 87s doesn't have correct odds to call to the river when it misses postflop, but at 100000 bets it does. The postflop calls had to be considered in the preflop action in order to complete the equation correctly. When calling 3 bets with AKo, we're putting ourselves in that same type of situation where we'll be obligated to call those later bets (at correct odds) a certain %age of the time.