View Single Post
Old 04-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Roy Cooke on Cheating and Cheaters

I was right and wrong about Daniel Negranu and Scotty Nguyen. First remember that I’m a second hand reporter of this, so I ‘m just reporting what I have been told, now with very specific details and a way to check the facts though that route is not open to me.

The Event was PP3, on a cardplayer.com cruise, March 2004.

It wasn’t a final table, it was down to 2 tables. Daniel put Scotty in the tournament. By Scotty making this play both he and Daniel made it to the final table, where there was no further indication of impropriety.

Scotty didn’t check the nuts behind Daniel, he check-called the nuts, when they both had plenty of chips left, but would have put Daniel all-in and knocked him out of the event, where he went on to finish second.

So I was wrong on the details but right on the principle – my apologies for my error

I am told the issue has been extensively discussed by the Tournament Directors Forum, (my source is not a member, but a friend of a member and personally reviewed the discussion at the member’s house, but was not allowed to copy anything) where Daniel admitted this happening, said Scotty did “a stupid thing” with no prompting from Daniel. Daniel promised to get out of the business of putting players in tournaments. (I’m not sure why Daniel is part of the Tournament Directors Forum but it’s something I don’t know a lot about.) There was apparently a lot of debate and discussion about this, which is actually a good thing.

If anybody who has access to the Tournament Directors forum might want to comment on, confirm or refute this that would be cool.

Meanwhile the unconfirmed scuttlebutt (confirmed to me by the same source however) at the Commerce is that Habib, Tuan Le and Daniel were a three way partnership in last week’s event.

I stand by my original observation that Daniel tends to be one of the good guys. It makes me wonder what the bad guys are doing and gives some credibility to Cooke’s comments.

I’ll repost this on the WPT thread.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I do know that I heard from a real reliable source that when Scotty N. checked the nuts behind Daniel N. at a WPT final table on television, Daniel had put Scotty into the tournament. That’s surely not a righteous thing, and I kind of think Daniel is a good guy and straightshooter.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a silly thing to believe. Maybe he checked the nuts into DN, or there was someone left to act behind him, or they were not on the river. There is no way SN checks the nuts closing out the hand (or fails to raise last to act for that matter) since that is cheating (you are not allowed to soft play in a tournament) and it will be apparent to everyone when he shows down the hand, which he will have to do since DN isn't going to muck for nothing. If this is from a "real reliable source" I would hate to here what your sketchy ones say.

If this was truly at the final (TV) table, where all the hands are reviewed (since they may make the TV cut) it is even more ludicrous.

[/ QUOTE ]