View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: what affects roi the most?

[ QUOTE ]
the answer is bubble play

no matter the level

'what affects roi the most' = bubble play

now, at the 100/200s, 'what is the biggest difference in the roi between player a and b' = early play because most of the players play a good bubble...but if they play the bubble badly, their roi will drop much more than if they play poorly early on...so while early play may separate the good from the great, proper bubble play has the biggest single factor on roi, no matter the limit

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative. The biggest impact to EV occurs in bubble (or post bubble) play, since on every hand EV changes significantly. Note: I would have to do some math before I could say that bubble, however we are defining it, decisions impact EV more than post bubble.

The biggest impact to ROI will be where you gain the most EV, which necessarily takes into account the comparative advantage one has over the field and the importance of the decision in terms of EV.

Let me give a contrived example to illustrate this. Say there is a population of STT players who will fold everything to a push pre flop until the blinds are 50/100 becuase they refuse to go out when the blinds are so low. They are so adamant about this, they will even fold AA in the BB if the SB open pushes.

Say these same players all play optimally from the the 50/100 level on.

A player who pushes every hand until the 50/100 level will gain ALL of his ROI from the first levels, since he has at best no comparative advantage in the late game.

This shows, I am pretty sure, that it is theoretically possible to have the early levels impact ROI the most.

Now, if you have a good size advantage over the field in the early levels, and a small advantage on the bubble, the bubble will most likely have a greater impact on ROI.

Also, it is theoretically possible to have a bubble disadvantage and still have a positive ROI if your pre and/or post bubble advantage is big enough.