View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: ($55) Awkward spot with JJ preflop

Ok, my math...assuming he has the tightest possible range (99+ and AJ+), and assuming no one will call behind you (which should happen like 10-15% minimum) is as follows:

Chip EV = 855. This leaves us -30 from where we began the hand. This is a relatively small amount of EV to be down IMO, against a player with such unrealistically tight standards. I am too lazy to do the work, but I suspect that just adding 88 to the mix would make it +EV. Also note that this system assumes that our opponents call perfectly (except fold with AQs+AQ). That means they will fold TT+99 always.

Anyway after doing this math, hopefully accurately, I'm not really convinced one way or another that moving allin is correct. Too many bozos will raise with A5s there, but many of them will limp too, and will limp with stuff like 99, AQ etc. I'd like some others to back my work up though because I don't usually do this stuff by hand.

In a $215 against an opponent that I recognize as tight, I suspect that moving allin here with JJ is simply a clear -EV play, especially with the prospect of calls behind you by QQ+