View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Moving Up Is Hard To Do

nice post, i agree with you completely.

as far as multitabling goes, in my personal experience, i'm not overwhelmed with 4 tables. I can comfortably play 5. i think it depends on your goals and even then these goals are liquid and move about/combine freely.

edited to say: goals can be some sort of ratio combination of making as much money as possible and excelling in skill as fast as possible.

assuming you are a winning player at your chosen level, if your goal is to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible, you should add as many tables as you can while maintaining a semi-decent winrate.

my personal goal is to increase my skill as quickly as possible moreso than increasing my income. Playing less tables allows more focus on playing individual players and applying concepts to specific situations.

when multitabling, you can witness situations where you think a concept applies and apply it. what may be happening is that there is information there that you missed that makes that concept incorrect in that situation. This leads to mistakes and is the reason why you won't beat 4 tables for 4BB/100 just because you beat 2 for 2BB/100.

These errors however are usually small errors and account for only a slight decrease in winrate in most, but not all, cases.

my personal goal is to increase skill and move up to higher levels. i want to get rid of these slight errors in my game because as i move up they cost more and more and may become exacerbated by the better players i will encounter.

multitabling doesn't allow my the focus required to refine my game to the extent I want to.

getting reads by opening one table at a time is a good idea, however, by the time you get reads on all the players and get to that 4th or 5th table, odds are at least half the 1st table is going to be new players. having 4 tables open with constantly revolving players makes it impossible to keep up with high quality reads.

I personally get more satisfaction knowing i'm really outplaying my opponents than cramming in 8 tables and autopiloting ABC poker. i have a feeling autopiloting ABC isn't going to work very well at 30/60.

in essence, i feel if your goal is making the most money possible at your level, multitabling is the way to go. ESPECIALLY if you have rakeback and bonuses.

if you're goal is to move up as fast as possible AND be able to get right in there and already be playing better than your opponents, you do yourself a favor by playing 1 or 2 tables and working on refining your game. you'll always be playing better than most, if not all, of your opponents and the sailing will be much much smoother.

these are all just my personal thoughts and opinions from my own experiences. each player is different and i don't doubt there are players out there that can 20 table and have perfect reads on every opponent. There will always be someone smarter, faster, stronger, better playing than you.

figure out where you stand as a player, both in knowledge and innate skill, and capitalize on your excess and/ or lack of either.