View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Earthlink ADSL Support trip report

I finally got fed up with losing my DSL connection 3 times a day and emailed Earthlink support with a very nice description of my problem and a DSL event log that showed all of the disconnects in tha last 24 hours. They sent back a form letter saying that they don't respond to emails. Fck! No, I have to go to their site and fill out a "form". I filled it out and sent it in and went to make lunch. I come back to the computer after 10 minutes or so and there's a "live chat" box open on the desktop. Whoops.

I respond "whoops, didn't know it was going to live chat." Timothy M. responds "How can I help you?"

I describe the disconnect problems and he suggests that I try everything I've already tried, you know, shut down computer, shut modem off, wait 3 minutes.

I let him know that I don't think I should have to waste 30 minutes a day shutting everything down and turning it all back on again and can he suggest something else? He suggests that I "swap the ends of the Cable between the Modem and Phone Jack and Modem and Computer." I say "I'll try that." Then, just to be sure I'm not having a shroom or acid flashback, I say "just flip the cord around?" he says "Yes, you are correct." I can't do it right this second (screaming baby) so I thank him for his help and tell him I'll have to contact him later if I'm still having problems.

I immediately felt like asking him if it's because the 1's only go one direction in cords while the 0's will go either way. Then I want to ask him if I've just been Punk'd, but I don't know if they get that show in India so it might be a big waste of time to write all that.

FWIW, the problems that dumps my connection is always a PPPoE connection failure. But that problem will be solved as soon as I flip my cords around!