View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Can a Former Addict become a good Poker Player?

OK, I'll say it. NO. You cannot do this. I concede that it's possible, since undoubtedly there are a few addicted gamblers at the absolute pinnacle of poker, but your chances are sickeningly low.

Your most severe leak is the worst one of all: you can't fold when you know you're beaten, and losses only worsen this condition. This kills poker players, even those who aren't addicts. Steaming is a powerful force, and everyone who's not a freak of nature must struggle with it. But it's hard enough when you're not a problem gambler. A player with the traits you've described has no chance.

The other reason I say no is that you don't appear to have exceptional ability, unless you were being modest about your own assessment of your abilities. 7 out of 10 at the $100 limit is not exceptional. Those players are horrible compared to a pro who makes 50K/year or more. That pro is an 11 out of 10 at that limit. Even someone who's green and improving with experience ought to be a 9 on sheer ability in these games, if they even want to consider going pro.

Making a living at poker is HARD under favorable conditions; you have all odds against you (addiction, tiny bankroll, mediocre talent). Forget the fantasies you read on this board about all the 22-year-old kids making 100K in their sleep; 22-year-olds lie. A select few regular posters at this site play well enough to support themselves playing poker if they had to pay rent, etc., but most do not play much better than break-even poker.

What you do is your personal business. I am giving you a recommendation that comes only from a place of compassion toward you, I promise. You have too many things going against you, and losing it all at poker again will likely cause a lot of damage to your psyche. Let it go. Let it go.

Cero