View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Theory of Deception; A poll

[ QUOTE ]
Deception: An attempt to disguise the value you place upon your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good definition, however, I think it is just a little to vague.

[ QUOTE ]
Anything else you add can be refuted by specific example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you dispute the following with a specific example?:

Deception: The art of disguising the true value of your hand, in an attempt to lead your opponent(s) into misplaying their hand.

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't have to be EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are not making a deceptive move for the purpose of increasing your +EV, why are you?

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't have to be random.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that making a deceptive move at random, with no rational intention, is a -EV proposition.

[ QUOTE ]
It certainly doesn't have to be "an art".

[/ QUOTE ]

Not unless you believe that playing your hand deceptively, in a foolish manner, has future +EV. The only example I can think of right now, would be where 4 people limp, you're on the button with AA and limp; call it down to the river and show your hand. This of course, being early upon your arrival at the game, against players you don't know. Now you have portrayed yourself as a fish, and, you have still made the deceptive play with a specific purpose.

Now, if you had no time to size up your opponents, and failed to realize that due to level of skill of your opponents, that it would have no effect on how they played against you, well, that would be a "random" play of deception, as there was no intelligent thought behind it, and it would have no +EV value.

I cannot believe that the statement cannot be disputed:

The purpose of playing your hand deceptively is to increase your +EV, either immediately, or, at some point in the future against the opponents you are currently facing.

I cannot think of a deceptive play, chosen totally at random, without any thought, that is a good one.

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't have to work. It doesn't even have to have a purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Can you give us an example?

[ QUOTE ]
Using my definition, you can then make statements like "Deception is critical to beating the rake at high-limit games"

[/ QUOTE ]

An example of deception with a purpose.

[ QUOTE ]
or "Deception was useless against the fish at my table, I just played ABC poker."

[/ QUOTE ]

An intelligent thought process.

I am enjoying this discussion, and please do not take my comments as an "attack" upon your position, but instead, just my opinion, looking for an intelligent debate on the subject.