View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: damn marginal hands, poorly played 77

I think your pre-flop coldcall was okay, especially given that your read was there would be more cold-calls after you.

The flop raise is on the edge...but if you're going to stay in, better to raise than to fold. Certainly helped to define the hand for you. The 3-bet back to you, though, is obviously the message you don't want to get...AA, KK, QQ, AJ, KJ, possibly QJ or JT (although that would have been a pretty loose preflop raise for someone you've already pegged as TAG), or (worst of all) JJ. I think the main reason you even call the 3-bet is to help preserve table image and keep people from running over you on future hands.
All in all, though, your flop play is probably okay too.

On the turn, however, not sure your call is good. It's pretty clear at this point that you're drawing to 2 outs, so you're getting about 7-to-1 pot odds for a 22-to-1 shot. Your read of the villain indicates he's not trying to buy the pot with a couple of overcards. The uncoordinated board means he wasn't betting a strong flush or open-ender draw on the flop. I think you threw away a BB here.

My only comment about the fold on the river is that you should have done it on the turn. At THIS point, however, since you stayed in, your pot odds are 9-to-1...if you think there's a greater than 10% chance he WAS trying to buy the pot with AK, AQ, KQ, etc., a loose river call here is probably in order. (of course, there's also some chance he was trying to buy you out holding TT or 99 too, which would have been consistent with the preflop raise as well).