View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 07:11 AM

Default Re: weird play with trips

[ QUOTE ]
With a possible straight & flush draw I think it's a pretty big mistake to not lead the flop. This is unless UTG is somewhat selective PF leading you to believe he hit the flop, or if there's some aggro beast in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

My reasoning behind not leading was exactly because there is a straight and flush draw out there. On a board like this with 4 players, I would think it is very rare that the flop is checked through. I was hoping for the EP bet so I could C/R, which didn't come, but that's OK.

Does it really make a differece who puts the first bet in? I think in some ways it's better that Button bet than me, as me leading would define my hand pretty well and people would fold their weak holdings. People generally give far less credit to a Button bet than a UTG bet, and are more inclined to call.

I realize I didn't include specific reads in the OP, but most players are pretty loose PF. I would expect them to often mistakenly call a Button bet with A high thinking they may be good, with a gutshot, single diamond etc. They would be less inclined to call that bet from UTG however.

Sure it really sucks if this flop gets checked through - how often do you think that happens? If UTG bets and I get to C/R the field, great. If Button bets, then I can take the line I took in this hand, which given I didn't lead the flop, I think is really good.

Have I convinced anyone? Are there any flaws in my reasoning? Does everyone just think the risk of the flop being checked through as too high?