View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Prima 1/2 blind defence with J5s, is this worth it

1. J5s is total junk. I wouldn't defend this OOP versus anyone, much less someone who seems to be a reasonable player.

2. Go read the rake schedule for 1/2. Any theoretical profits you might make off hands like this are eaten up by the rake. Defend tightly at 1/2.

3. You missed the flop. It's over. You are OOP with no hand, no draw, and no bluff equity to speak of. What are you doing? Did I really see you *call* a flop raise with a pure bluff?

Never play on in this situation with no prospects unless you have identified some horrible weakness in your opponent. If you feel you need to bluff once in a while then wait for a hand like J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] that has some modest draw potential. Take your shot on the flop. If you happen to pick up a draw on the turn then make it one of those even rarer hands where you continue your bluff onto the turn instead of giving up.

This approach to bluffing gives you extra chances to win.

Note that I'm assuming that you've predetermined a need to bluff sometimes in this situation versus this opponent and explaining the right way to implement a bluffing strategy. I'm not saying that it is correct to bluff here with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or anything else.