View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Another Question For Not ready

[ QUOTE ]

Is it true that one can know all the Scripture's testimonies and explicit teachings regarding predestination, reject it, and still be saved?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really talking about errors in doctrine. What you are describing is a willful rejection of God's word even though the person knows the correct interpretation. I don't know, can a Christian commit murder because he knows he's forgiven and so won't go to hell? I view the two as stemming from the same attitude and perhaps evidence that the person isn't really a Christian.

Paul said someone can eat meat freely but if he believes it's sin, then it is sin. So if it's ok to eat meat and I believe it isn't ok I'm making a doctrinal error. I should become a vegetarian. But if I say I don't care what God says about eating meat and so I'm going to do so, I'm sinning.

We shouldn't judge whether someone who acts as the above is a real Christian but that person should reconsider the sincerity of his faith. On doctrinal disputes, I believe we should be charitable and civil and remember how often we've been wrong in the past and are likely to be again.

As to your last example, I think what you are doing is trying to quantify saving faith, or to set down in words what someone has to think in order to be saved. No one really thinks just what you wrote and nothing more. We are far more complex than that. If someone has an attitude of demanding salvation from God it raises the question of whether or not genuine faith is possible. Saving faith requires trust in God alone for salvation. Can you do that and still make salvation a demand, something God owes you?