View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 03:03 PM

Default Re: $25 NL PF steal, is this really dumb?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with taking even medium risks to steal blinds. As you said you were stealing, I'd disagree whole-heartedly with this move. It's not at tournament..why risk it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure what the point of the question is since you answered it. Granted, there isnt much of a way to improve J6o but in some respects that makes it even better, as you arent going to get wedded to your hand if the flop hits it a little, as you might be tempted to do with suited connectors.

[ QUOTE ]
Your continuation bet getting called even 1/3 of the time after your raise must certainly be -EV compared to the little pots you accumulate only until they catch on.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost completely wrong. He only needs to win the pot 1/3 of the time with a standard half pot continuation bet just to break even. Anything more than that is gravy, plus its great for his image, as you correctly pointed out.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't think they won't make notes about your play and bust you with next time you see them at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few players at SSNL are making these sorts of observations. And it is pretty obvious to figure out who is smart enough to catch onto your play.

[ QUOTE ]
The main reason this is a huge mistake, in my book, is that you only can ride a tight image so long. You've got one or two shots a having any bet respected before they start getting suspicious. Why not wait and use one of your free passes in a $20+ pot when you can represent the nuts as opposed to wasting it on a few limps when you don't really know where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or why not ride a loose image (which weak players notice more than a tight image) into a huge pot when no one believes you have the goods and you get two callers with all your money in the pot and triple up.

I think the point that a lot of people are missing is that when you make moves like this, you are controlling the action, and you are making people react to you. This is where you want to be when you are playing NL.