View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Bottom 2 pair and the table explodes - thoughts on my turn lead?

Loose live 20/40 game. Normally I muck J9s to a raise preflop, but I am certain that there will be several coldcallers after me plus the blinds. Also, the game is LAGgy postflop, and I will get good action if I hit a big hand.

Hero is MP2 with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, some folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls

Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 raises, Hero 3-bets, some folds, Button caps almost allin, BB coldcalls, the rest call.

UTG is new to the table, and this is his first hand. UTG+1 is a bit loose preflop but very aggressive with his hands, and is likely trying to protect top pair.

Button is a LAG who plays probably 75% of his hands and often raises on the button with any piece of the board; he is almost allin, so I feel that his range of hands is anything from a flopped straight to some kind of flush draw.

BB is typically aggressive with a made hand; since he has only been checking and calling I assume he is on some kind of draw as well.

I 3-bet the flop in order to knock out the button and the blinds, only it didn't work. I call Button's cap with the plan of reevaluating the action on the turn; if the betting ahead of me continues to be frisky then I will slow down and maybe fold the river unimproved if the aciton is still multiway.

Turn is a brick.

Checked to me.

At this point I put UTG solidly on a big pocket pair, and UTG+1 on an unimproved piece of the flop.

I fire another bet.

In the heat of battle, I wanted to keep the lead on this hand and do whatever was necessary to win the pot. Now that I've had time to think about it, I am doubting myself a bit.

My fold equity is 0 on this draw-heavy board, since no one with a flush or straight draw is going to give up.

But this pot is HUGE (16.5 BB before the turn), and the flop capper is down to his last 2 BB.

Thoughts on my turn lead?