View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: what to memorize?

Disclaimer: the following is just my two cents, proceed with caution.

I'd highly recommend reading GSIH -> SSHE over WLLHE. WLLHE is a great book (it was the first one I read, but that was before the other books were published). I feel that using GSIH -> SSHE to get yourself up to speed is a much better method.

There are certain things you'll need to memorize along the way, but don't sweat it. Memorizing a hand chart isn't nearly as important as understanding the poker theory behind the chart (i.e the "WHY" you should play this hand in this position, etc). Focus on the theory and you won't need to memorize the hand chart because you'll already know what to play where (and more imporantly you'll know WHY).

Odds...I've been playing seriously for about 3.5 years (professionally for the last two) and I couldn't tell you the *exact* odds for any draw. Why? Because in my opinion it's just not that important. What IS important is being able to figure out your approximate odds quickly at the table...enter the rule of 4 and 2 (stolen partially from Phil Gordon's Little Green Book, which is another great book to get if you're planning to play no-limit).

Rule of 4 and 2
1. Figure out the number of outs you have (both GSIH and SSHE have a great discussion of how to calculate your outs, discounted outs, hidden outs, etc).
2. To calculate your odds for two cards to come (flop->river) multiply your outs by 4. The answer will be (approximately) your percentage chance of making your hand WITH TWO CARDS TO COME.
3. To calculate your odds for one card to come multiply by 2.
4. presto.

While I'm sure some people will argue with my method, I only care about having an approximate number rather than knowing that a 9 out draw is exactly 4.22:1 (I actually had to look that up). Why? Because in almost all cases you're going to have a clear cut answer based on your approximate number that's going to be the same as the answer you get knowing the exact odds. In those situations where it's "close" it's going to be a judgement call whether to continue with the hand anyways, so who cares? I'd rather memorize a simple method like the rule of 4/2 then waste my time memorizing every single odds ratio....I have better things to do with my time (like make money).

Ultimately, the best way to learn is play. Poker knowledge is cyclical...you'll study a concept in a book and then go out to the tables and deepen your understanding of the concept by applying it first hand. Likewise, as you gain more expereince at the tables new concepts and ideas will jump off the pages of books that you didn't understand (or even see) before. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Good Luck,
J