View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 09:59 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"
Default Re: A family with a history of addiction ... and me

Guess what, you have an addictive personality. Quite a few of the better players do, it is something that most of the pro's I've met have in spades. It is also something that I have struggled with myself, and I much like you have a family that has exhibited many of the same problems that you have seen. I am very thankful that I am not haunted by drink or pills; I've seen what that does to people, children, and families. However I do recognize that whatever I step into, whatever holds my interest will be an addiction to me in that I do not want to just participate but I want to master what is there.

The trick is to channel yourself into constructive pursuits, gambling may or may not be a good thing for you to follow. There certainly are areas were you will have an advantage but there will always be an area were your friends and family will look into and only see depravity. This is some thing that the model train expert, Civil war history buff, or weekend softball champion never has to face even though their own addiction may be more substantial.

I know it sounds terrible, but it's not worth sugar coating.