View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: A family with a history of addiction ... and me

Good post yoadrians (and screenname for the matter)

I remember when my ex girlfriend's mom (I'm 23 FWIW) decided to start in with the moral superiority horseshit and criticize me for spending so much time playing poker and act like she was concerned that I was addicted. Then she talked about how so many people have lost tons of money and it would eventually happen to me etc etc.

I handled it by telling her that I was saying this with all due respect (even though I couldn't stand her) and that if she doesn't have a knowledge of poker and a gambler's lifestyle (IE BR management etc) that she wouldn't really be able to understand my explanation of the way playing poker for profit "works". All I was really able to get through to her was that the initial deposit I put into EmpirePoker after I got serious about the game was cashed out to my checking account a long time ago and I've never had to invest more money in it since. Some people just don't understand.

Now if you're concerned about whether or not you're addicted believe me I highly doubt it, you sound safe, but you can always take the GA poll on their website, but I think in your post you have a lot of their questions answered correctly for a non-addict anyway.

Good luck,
Matt