View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Minors at home games?

[ QUOTE ]
I can find plenty of adults to play with that are not very good. It's not a matter of discrimination in the sense that I might have something against 11 year olds in general as I know many with better math skills than some in my home game.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But in some seriousness, if losing his allowance inspires the kid to focus on math and science in middle school I think there's definitely some benefit. I also like the behavior of the Dad in this situation. I would be pissed at the host for soft-parenting someone else's child and teaching a really bad lesson about sulking.

I guess the only reason I would leave the game was if I felt I couldn't play aggressively against an 11 year old. Of course, I'm not a parent so I think I may have an easier time treating a kid just like any other dead money in the tournament. If you think this player will alter your playing style then you're perfectly justified in sitting out.

The other consideration is that you've broadcast to the group that you're probably more serious about the game than they are and that the composition of the game may cause you to tilt. If some guy brings his newbie girlfriend to play, would you also worry about hurt feelings and soften up your game?