View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: AQo out of position

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Harv,

Do you ever do this against someone you don't have a read on? And by read I don't mean TAG or stats, I mean somebody who you know will often release on the turn without a made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give it a shot sometimes against someone who I just know as a TAG based on PT stats, or someone I have tagged as "2+2'er" but don't know exactly who it is. It doesn't always work, obviously--sometimes I get called down by AK, sometimes by a weak pair, sometimes by the weirdest stuff.

My thinking is that, even when it doesn't work or I've misread the opponent, someone at the table will notice that I made a play at the pot without a hand and take note of it. This obviously means that I can often take this precise line after flopping a monster (or getting cute with a high PP preflop) and get action. I think it also makes people think twice about raising my blinds lightly, which is a good thing. Note that I'm talking about 5/10 games (and whenever I stray higher); I wouldn't recommend trying this on 2/4 or below unless you have a very detailed read on your opponent. Or it's a 2+2 table. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Of course, the flip side is that my variance skyrockets with plays like this, and I'm less likely to push someone off of overcards or a weak draw when I have a vulnerable made hand. I live with it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]