View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Advice to people stuck @ the small stakes too long

1st of all, beating 6 max isn't THAT tough but you've gotta give yourself a fighting chance. The biggest mistake I see most of the new players make is that they understimate variance. 300 bbs is plenty to play full ring but in 6 max, 300bbs is NOTHING. You can go on 100 bb swings in 1k hands easily and 200bb swings are somewhat common as well. If I were to attack a 6max game, I'd want a minimum of 500 bbs and prolly more like 750 so I could lose 250 w/out sweating it.

Actually, the reason I moved back to full ring is b/c I was unhappy w/my win rate at 6max although it was better than 1bb/100 and wanted to take a little break. Its a very stressful game, you either feast or famine and its something that takes getting used to. For the record, I think full ring is more profitable b/c the rake is about .5bbs/100 hands less but the skills you learn in SH will help immensely at full ring. Its something worth learning and something that can significantly help out your game if you are stuck below 15/30.