View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Something I have been thinking about

[ QUOTE ]
Well I pulled out the bibles of poker psychology (Inside the Poker Mind & The Psychology of Poker) for anything related to the discussion. (I mean I was really tempted to invest all my thought into how to play AA at a donkfest like all the cool kids but figured I could get to that later).

What I got out of it.

So you are playing a solid game and not hitting so your image becomes that of a tight semi-aggressive player that can be pushed off hands. Or you suffer from "AK syndrome" where they always put you on AK and bet any flop not including an A or K just calling down if you continue to be aggressive. Bad news when the non-retarted players pick up on it and decide to use it. It means more bluffs and more aggression with their marginal hands.

If you can figure out who has pegged you this way (I believe you referred to them as "asstards", usually the 30-40vpip semi-thinkers) use your new image to your advantage. These changes should be player specific.

1) I think you have to tighten up a bit and bluff less against them
2) Use more passive lines with marginal hands (invite more bluffs, more check raising with strong hands. Let them know the c/r means business.
3) Slowplay big hands getting the bets in on the later streets
4) Use 2) and 3) to set up similar lines when you want to pull off some timely bluffs once your image improves

[ QUOTE ]
When you are starting to actively second guess what should be routine decsions against bad (especially passive) or otherwise predictable players... it may be best to find a new table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this. I think it may be important to redefine what a "good game" is. I always thought of it in terms of vpip/pfr av. pot size and position on poor players. A game where you have been targeted as an easy mark by the weaker players you prey upon is no longer a "good game" regardless of their stats/tendencies and position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice breakdown Doc. Thanks.