View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Stepping down and admitting defeat

[ QUOTE ]
This may be the case for me, but I can tell you one thing: I wasn't playing any worse in the last 6-7k hands than I was the 10s of thousands before them. I think the strongest part of my game is keeping level-headed and not tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I almost hate to post this because it will inevitably spark a flurry of "NO YOUR WRONG", but you were tilting. Not admitting you tilt is also a big problem because the first step to overcoming it is accepting it and taking breaks when you feel it coming on. It is not possible to lose 1/3rd of your bankroll and not tilt.

Let me be the first person to say that I tilt and tilt pretty badly sometimes. I tilt when I get 5 dollar parking tickets. I tilt when I'm donking around in 5/10 and someone hits their straight flush draw to crack my wired pair of 2's on the river and it goes check check. As you move higher and higher tilt will affect you more and more because you're playing with more significant amounts of money, and it's something you aren't equipped to deal with. There have been times where I'll fire up 8 tables, only to have AA cracked on 7 seperate tables at the same time within 2 minutes. That's ok, I just take a break. And there are other times I take a bunch of bad beats, but I'm playing well and feeling well, so I'll get 5-6k hands in.

I've sweated people online and watched them make the most tilt-fueled plays and then try to justify it to me. Wow, just say "Oops, [censored], I tilted." and take a five minute break. Your winrate will thank you. Most people's reaction when I mention something like this is "Oh, well he obviously doesn't know me. That may apply to other people, but not me" followed by a summary of how they don't fall into this category. Whatever. I won't argue it. But you really should be aware of your emotional state at all times.