View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: AT in BB. Well played or foolish aggression?

I like that you have a reason for every move that you made in this hand; that alone shows the makings of a very good poker player. It's one thing to raise because so & so's book told you to, but another thing entirely to actually understand why you're doing it.

The preflop call is okay; I'd like it a lot better if you were sooted, but I agree that you can most likely make it given the pot odds.

The flop raise is mandatory. Calling the flop 3-bet is also mandatory.

It's the turn raise that I don't like. You're already heads up, so you aren't protecting your hand from anything by raising. And you have to know that your opponent is very weak/tight before you can even imagine that he'll fold an overpair to your turn raise; I think the only way that happens is if the river brings another club and you fire again there (and, of course, he doesn't have a club).

What's more likely is that you will be called down by the hands that beat you (overpairs), possibly be 3-bet by a hand like A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Kx (and you can't call the turn 3-bet), or else fold out hands that are drawing very thin against you (AK/AQ with no club, 99 no club, etc). Because of that, I'd prefer to spend my two bets calling down rather than by raising the turn/checking through the river. Especially against an aggressive opponent who is likely to fire again on the river with UI overcards.

And incidentally, very few players are raising third in from the SB with any hand that has 6 outs against you on the turn. Some will, yes, but it's pretty rare at these limits.