View Single Post
Old 06-26-2003, 09:56 PM

Default Favorite Cookies

I have not been able to find a place anymore that makes good pizzelle cookies, so I finally decided to buy a pizzelle baker and make my own. Well they turned out great! So, if you're interested in making the best pizzelle cookies follow my reciepe for thick southern Italian style:

Three grade A eggs from cage free vegetarian hens. One cup of ultra fine bakers sugar. Mix together with a hand mixer. Add one stick (1/4 pound) of melted unsalted butter. Add one teaspoon of vanilla extract along with about 3/4 of a teaspoon of anise extract (do not use imitation extracts). Mix well. Add 3 1/2 cups of natural white flour (use Hodgson Mill organic--do not use flour that is bleached). Add two tablespoons of baking powder. This will create a very thick mixture and you will have to mix it by hand once you get all the flour mixed in. For baking on a dual 5 inch pizzelle baker, roll up the mixture into approximately one inch balls and place them in the baker for 60 to 90 seconds depending on how dark you want them. These are the best!!!!

Good Luck

Mark