View Single Post
Old 03-21-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Need some Tips for SNG Tournaments

A few points

I'd switch to primarily NL tourneys. NL is the favorite among good players and there is a reason for that. It offers a good player more opportunities to steal pots and make draws unprofitable for weaker players. NL is maybe more art than science, but if you learn to play it well, you will not regret it

I'd also tighten up. even 25% of flops seen is probably too much. If these are the % you are getting during the first few levels then you are definitely playing too many hands. When you say 'Head to head skewed it a little', are you refering to separate heads up play, or just the final phase of tourneys? I suppose 32% might be ok depending on what the actual % is during earlier stages. Still, if 28% is accurate, it is too much. Every tourney is different, but overall, I suspect most solid players are looking at 15-20%

Now, I am sure many will laugh at me for saying this, but I'd also consider switching sites if I were you. I have been a big party advocate for a long time now, but I think those days are gone. Pokerstars is better for a lot of reasons. First, the structure is a lot better. You start with more chips relative to the blinds and the levels go up more slowly. Second, someday you might want to move up (or even down) and pokerstars is a better site to do this on. You can play $5+.50 tourneys if you start feeling the $10 game is too tough and if you want to move up, you can move to $20+2 before jumping straight to $30+3.

Yeah, you all told me so... I still have a soft spot for party, but I'm doing all my playing at stars now so... That says it all doesn't it.

One other thing. I'm not sure if you study the game, or if your learning curve has been steep lately, but a drop in results is quite common when you are in the midst of learning more about a particular structure/game. Sometimes you will find yourself gatting creative or trying to implement more advanced techniques when the simple ABC poker you used to be playing will work better for now. This is especially true in Limit and for low stakes. Those players cannot be manipulated easily because their game is often not advanced enough to understand the messages you are trying to send them.

Just some thoughts

Brad S