View Single Post
Old 02-16-2005, 01:58 PM

Default In the money call. Wildly self-delusional? Or shrewdly reasoned?

Ultimately, this hand had no great bearing on the action, but as I decided to play it I was wondering about others' thoughts on the matter.

It's the PokerStars 25K rebuy, we're in the money but a long ways from the deep gelt. About 60 folks left, average stack about 100K. Blinds are 6K/12K with a 600 ante. I'm in the BB 128K and looking at J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], not exactly the long-sought monster.

UTG folds, and short-stack in UTG+1 goes all-in for 36K. All fold to me. As I'm preparing to muck my garbage I realize I'm looking at a pot of about 58K that I can see to the river for 24K, against an all-in short-stack. My read on Mr. Shorty was that he was a reasonable, not overly aggressive player who likely had been around the block enough times to know that he had to do something, anything, soon.

While I in no way thought I might be ahead, I did think that his potential range of hands justified a call with almost 2.5-1 pot odds. So I stepped up to the plate and took a swing with my mighty J6s.

Does anyone else think this was reasonable, or was I talking myself into a stupidly loose call?

Results to follow.

Thanks
Doug