Thread: Odds and Stud
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Odds and Stud

I didn't say that I think Othmer is a good book. I only meant to say that it has what you're looking for, possibly to a greater extent than you'd like. I've never finished that book myself. It's dense and less-than-readable, and I'm able to beat the local $6/12 game pretty handily as it is.

This site has the kind of information that you're looking for. Using the information given, you could probably develop a similar chart for straight draws using nothing more than a pocket calculator. Shouldn't take more than a couple of days.

I evaluate straight and flush draws more by feel than anything else. On third street, it's fairly straightforward. If zero or one of your suit is out, your hand is live and almost always worth playing. If three of your suit are out, it's dead, and probably not worth playing unless there is something that is unusually favorable.

On fourth, it becomes more complicated because you have to consider not only how many of your suit have shown, but how many total cards have shown. I have a good feel for what's a good situation and what's not. I don't have any rules of thumb or anything. I suppose that this isn't too helpful.